Selling A Property

In New South Wales the law requires that prior to offering a residential property for sale there must be a draft contract for sale of land available to prospective purchasers. Regardless of whether the property is residential, it is helpful to the purchaser if the contract is thoroughly prepared and includes sufficient documents to enable the prospective purchaser to clearly understand the full nature of the property they are purchasing.

We recommend that if you wish to improve your chances of getting a quick sale for the best possible price then the contract should include:

  1. An up to date survey and;

  2. A Council Building Certificate in relation to the property.


A survey will indicate to prospective purchasers the location of the improvements on the land relative to the boundaries. It will show where the fences are located relative to the boundaries and whether there are any encroachments across the boundaries by improvements on the subject property or by improvements on neighbouring properties.

Building Certificate

A Council building certificate indicates to purchasers that the local Council will not issue work orders against the property in its current configuration for a period of seven (7) years. This may be taken by the prospective purchasers as an indication that the improvements on the land were built with Council approval and comply with building regulations. Neither a survey or Council Building Certificate are compulsory documents however they can have the effect of putting the purchaser at ease by demystifying the property and therefore can lead to a quicker sale for a better price.