The necessity for a licence to serve alcohol arises in various environments. Typically if you are purchasing a business such as a restaurant, a hotel.

The legislation governing liquor licences in New South Wales is the Liquor Act 2007. The primary object of the legislation is "harm minimisation". Applications for the grant of a liquor licence or the transfer of an existing licence are made to the Casino, Liquor & Gaming Control Authority of New South Wales. Generally prior to grant or transfer of the liquor licence the Authority will require that the licensee and all staff serving liquor have completed a course approved by the Authority dealing with responsible service of alcohol.